Tips for Using CamScanner
Setting Up CamScanner
- Download CamScanner from the App Store for your device/OS, a smart phone is best!
- Launch CamScanner
- Establish your CamScanner Account with your Eastern email address ending in .edu
This gives your papers more area on the pages I will see for grading.
It removes the "watermark" reading "Scanned with CamScanner" from each page.
It removes any advertisements that come with the free version.
- Log-in to your account, and validate as needed by the on-screen instructions.
- Press firmly with your Pencil to make DARK marks on your worksheet.
- Reinforce marks that are faint gray!
- Use a soft eraser as needed to remove stray marks completely!
- Be sure you have completed all parts of the worksheet!
- Be sure you round numbers accurately, and use leading 0 where needed.
- Make sure your written digits are legible and clearly distinguishing 1 from 4, 4 from 9, 7 from 9, 0 from 6, 3 from 5, 8 from 6, 9 or 0 etc.
- Draw large and clearly distinguish all structures
- Be sure your label lines extend from the word(s) computer printed on the worksheet to the structures of your sketch
- Be sure your label lines end by TOUCHING the structure you are trying to show! "Almost" does not count!
- Draw your label lines to the nearest example among multiple similar structures in the sketch to avoid crossing-lines.
- Make sure different structures look different from each other with shading, etc!
- If asked, allow the software to have access to your smartphone camera
- Find a large dark surface on which to lay your worksheet so there is dark all the way around your paper
- Check that you have good illumination on all parts of the page (no shadows cast by you or your camera, etc.)
- Make sure the paper is laying flat; you can put a quarter coin at each corner to help, but be sure the weight does not obscure anything on your paper.
- The previous tip applies especially to the corner with the staple. If you own a stapler, you can remove the staple for photography and staple the pages back together afterwards.
- Launch CamScanner
- Hold your smartphone in a parallel plane above the worksheet paper, not tilting left-right, or top-bottom. The paper should look like its four sides are parallel to the edges of your screen.
- Move closer or farther from your paper so that the page fills your smartphone screen without cutting anything off. You should see at least a little bit of the dark background all around your page.
- Do not twist your camera or the pages the other way or zoom in to just one small part of a page. Shoot the whole page in "portrait" (not "landscape") view.
- Shoot the cover page, and every page that has marks on it to be graded in sequence. You may omit pages that have nothing but information provided to you for reading. You may omit appendix or other "support" pages that require nothing in writing from you.
- For each shot, let the second step of the process square up your paper, lighten the paper color to white, crop off the background to improve the image, and enlarge it to fit on a single sheet.
- When the software has all the pages for this assignment processed, you can have the software make a PDF file. Don't choose the other kinds of files; PDF is perfect for sending you paper to me electronically.
- Give the software time to assemble the PDF file.
Sending the PDF for Grading
- When all the pages have been made into one PDF file, you can send that one file to me at email@example.com
- If you did not like anything, don't send it, but start the photography part all over.
- Send only what you want to be graded.
- Please DO NOT save your PDF to someplace and only share it with me. That creates a mountain of accessibility issues, printing issues, etc. Some those "clouds' may send me the file, but require "permissions" or "passwords" to be set for me to open it, to print it, etc. for grading.
- Please just let CamScanner send me the one PDF file with all the pages in it.
Please do NOT do what comes naturally
- I know you like to just launch your camera, take some pictures, and send them as multiple attachments in one email.
- The photos are medium gray in the background rather than white; the camera adjusts itself to make each image you have 18% gray.
- I can barely read your pencil marks in all the gray gloom on the page
- Your pictures are all twisted, and things needing grading are cut off
- When your email arrives, each page of your document has to be downloaded and printed separately by me, put back into order, and stapled. Grrr!
- When printing the batch of papers for markup, separate pages out of order can get mixed with pages from the prior or next student's papers in the printing process!
- Please use only CamScanner for handing in lab worksheets!